This week summer has fully arrived in Europe. In the heath I have a hard time eating cakes, but friends don’t stop having birthdays just because it’s hot and even after a beachside BBQ folks could definitely do with a dessert. In those cases this cool pie can help me out. It’s not too hard to do, but does require a bit of preparation, It’s for the best if you get the ingredients the day before as you will be making your own vegan version of cream cheese. It is also an absolute favourite of my friend Claudia and I still owe her one for her next Birthday.
Your homemade vegan cream cheese is pretty fast and easy to do, but it needs to sit for approximately 12 hours before you use it.
Cream Cheese Chocolate Pudding Banana Pie
Preparation time: 25 hrs
The Cream Cheese should be prepared the night before and also make sure you stuck a can of coconut milk into the fridge
Baking & cooking time: 45 min
Resting Time: 4 hrs
500g soy yoghurt
a cheesecloth or a kitchen towel
a large mixing bowl
1. Put the sifter over the mixing bowl and spread the cheesecloth over the sifter.
2. Pour the soy yoghurt over the cheesecloth and let it rest overnight, making sure that the excess liquid can drop freely trough the cheesecloth
1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1 tablespoon sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup vegan butter, cut into smaller pieces
3 tablespoons ice water
1/4 cups hazelnuts, finely chopped
and the rest:
1 cup confectioners sugar
1 cup coconut cream
2 large bananas, sliced
1/2 cup hazelnuts, chopped
1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa, sifted
1. Sift the flour, sugar and salt into a large bowl.
2. Using your fingers, work in the butter and shortening until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
3. Add 2 tablespoons of ice water and work with your fingers until the water is incorporated and the dough comes together.
Add more water as needed to make a smooth dough, being careful not to over mix.
4. Form the dough into a disk, wrap tightly in plasic wrap and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes before using. – Meanwhile you can make the avocado chocolate pudding and the coconut cream.
Avocado Chocolate Pudding
1 avocado, diced
1/2 cup agave nectar
1/4 cup cocoa powder
1/4 cup water
2 tablespoons vanillia sugar (or vanillia extract)
a tiny pinch of salt
1. Place the avocado, agave nectar, cocoa powder, vanillia sugar and sea salt in a bowl and blend until smooth.
2. Gradually add a tablespoon of water at time, if needed, to achieve a creamy consistency.
1 can full fat coconut milk
2 tbs soy powder
2 tbs confectioners sugar
1. Put a can of coconut milk into the fridge the night before making the pie
2. The following day, open the can an carefully extract the white fatty bit, that will by now have assembled by the top of the can. Make sure you leave the liquid remains of the coconut milk in the can
3. In a mixing bowl whip up the coconut milk fat gradually adding the soy powder and the confectioners sugar until it’s texture resembles whipped cream.
By now your dough should be ready for further procedure.
5. Knead together the pie dough and the 1/4 cup finely chopped hazlenuts. Grease an approximately 20cm diameter pie and line it with the hazlenut dough forming a classic pie shell with your fingers. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until a tester inserted in the center comes out clean. Let cool for about 20 minutes.
6. In a large mixing bowl beat the cream cheese and confectioner’s sugar until smooth and spread in the cool pie shell.
7. Spread half of the whipped cream over the cream cheese in the shell. Lay sliced bananas on top of the whipped cream and cover with chocolate pudding as needed. Spread the other half of the whipped cream over the bananas and put another layer of sliced bananas.
8. Sprinkle with chopped hazlenuts and garnish with sifted cocoa.
9. Refrigerate at least 4 hours before serving and then enjoy!