Ah Blueberry Muffins! You either love them or you like totally adore them! They can be sweet – they can be bitter, they can be fancy with lemon zest or just vanilla! I must admit that you cannot hand me a blueberry muffin and expect it to still be there two to five minutes later, although this, of course, also depends on the size of the muffin!
Here you will learn how to make your own vegan buttermilk. Yes, I know, I mentioned it before here, but this time just remember, it is basically “buttermilk” and makes your muffins super soft and tasty. It’s that part of the recipe where you add lemon juice to your soy milk and set it aside to curdle. This is how you buttermilkfakeit.
Also if you are using frozen blueberries rather than fresh ones, that is totally fine. Just keep in mind that frozen berries tend to burst open during baking, and as the dough is not that solid yet at this stage, your muffins might turn out a bit blueish or greenish.
Preparation Time: 20 min
Baking time: 25 min
Cooling time: 10 min
150ml soy milk
1 tablespoon lemon juice
3 tablespoons vegan margarine
1/8 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon vanillia sugar
2 tablespoons baking powder
1 tablespoon baking soda
2 bananas, squashed
250g blueberries, fresh or frozen
Preheat the oven to 180°C.
1. Line a muffin pan with cupcake liners or grease it with full fat vegan margarine.
2. Pour the soymilk into a glas. Add the lemon juice and set aside to curdle.
3. In a large mixing bowl stir together the flour, sugar, vanillia sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt. In another bowl blend together the bananas, soy milk and butter.
4. Use a wire whisk to add the wet ingredients to the flour mixture, and mix until well incorporated.
5. Fold in the blueberries. You can coat them in a little tiny bit of flour if you want to prevent them sinking down to the bottom of the pan.
6. Fill the muffin pans up to the top and place them on the middle oven rack.
7. Bake for about 20- 25 minutes. Let the muffins rest in the oven for another 5-10 minutes, leaving the oven door open.
8. Take the muffins out of the pan and let them cool down on a cooling rack.